Monday, October 27, 2008

So, what do you do with the kids?

Monday night...1 day officially out of the institutional church and I'd like to share God's first blessing. Yesterday we made it our last day in the ic. We left without fanfare, just hugging some necks and making sure our responsibilities were handed over to others. Our plan was to wait to talk with our children about God's leading us, until after our last ic day. We chose a favorite resturant, sat down at a big table (we have 4 kids) and began to lay out our journey to the kids.

I started with a quick recap of Acts 2. We walked through the various reformations and restorations of the ic and contrasted that to how Jesus ministered to folks. We talked about the journey God has had our family on (seeking an ic that overflowed with God's children abiding in Him and not finding it). I ended my sharing with what we see God doing with us moving forward.

I actually took a bunch of Sweet & Low packets and spread them out. I explained that each packet was an institutional church and each packet had a bunch of folks in them. I made it clear that we don't look down on those in the ic...pray for them...but don't look down on them. Then I asked what happens to the people that are in-between the Sweet & Low packets, those outside of the ic. Each of our kids could think of someone that was there. My closing comment was that we are called to minister to those outside of the ic. (just for fun...we used crumbs to represent those of us outside of the ic...I think we were a small piece of tortilla chip).

PRAISE GOD! Our 8 year old got it! He was THRILLED to begin finding those outside of the ic (Sweet & Low packets). What a miracle that he caught the simplicity of God's calling. Our 2 teenagers, though quiet for awhile, were actually at peace with our decision. Now, I will say that we have given our teens a choice and for now they may continue in the ic...I leave that to God. One of our sons was tearful, but later said he was starting to get excited.

So, I write this to encourage other families with children that are considering leaving the ic and to those who already have. To follow God takes 100% trust and we must trust Him with our children and their journey as well.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment