Sunday, October 26, 2008

Not a Quitter, A Beginner

Six months ago I was the leader of the Women's ministry, on the praise team, in charge of the hospitality table, and at numerous meetings weekly to support the engine of our ic. What a full life! But it was only my calendar that was full. Inside I was slowly drying up. The more I gave the dryer I felt. Today I walked out of my ic for the last time. I love the Lord with all my heart. I love His people. But the church was wearing me out. I was too tired all the time to minister to my neighbors, friends and shockingly, my own family. At first I thought God was having me let go of different responsiblities so I could focus my energy on serving my 4 children and husband. I have been doing that since giving up the women's ministry. But I could tell there was more He was wanting me to let go off. Oddly enough, a woman at a local mega church recommended the book"So You Don't Want to go to Church Anymore". I don't know her personally, it was a general conversation to a varied group of women. I was at a book store, saw the book and thought I would give it a try. God does work mightily in our world today! My husband and I both read it and felt for the first time in a long time, a bit of peace. We knew finally what God was asking of us. It is scary. He gave me this verse to cling to during this time of transition: "Though he slay me I will trust Him." Job 13:15. I realized I have a trust issue with my Father that we are working through. We had planned to quietly slip out the door today. We didn't want to cause a scene or be a source of discouragement to the people we have considered family. My pastors wife hugged me and tearfully asked me "What can I do?" I responded"There is nothing to do. Let's just love each other." I don't know if she had somehow sensed this was our last Sunday. So, my question is the same as hers. "What can I do?" Job answered the question for me. "I will trust in Him."

Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment